Saturday, December 5, 2009

Refinished & Reupholstered Antique Sofa

As you know, I love to visit antique shops to find that one antique that noone else sees or appreciates. I like to save some antiques from a certain death (junking) and watch, over a period of months, as I bring them back to life.


I found this antique sofa in a second hand furniture shop. It was a mess and under a bunch of other furniture but I knew when I saw it it was a real treasure. The sofa is about 150 years old (circa 1860) and is made of oak and mahogany wood. I believe it came from Cape May, New Jersey and was being junked. I paid $50 for it. When I was tearing it down I found a reupholstering tag from Nov 15, 1915. I did the woodworking myself and had a local upholsterer do the fabric. It really turned out nice.


Antique Sofa After Refinishing and Reupholstering

Antique Sofa Before Refinishing and Reupholstering

Antique Sofa Before Refinishing and Reupholstering

Antique Sofa Oak and Mahogany Wood Frame Before Refinishing and Reupholstering





No comments: